Hello Debatable Lands!
The Shire of Steltonwald’s War Practice Staff has been posting some updates on Facebook (and other media, too). For those of you not on that venue, here is what I know (I am only gathering, this is not official at all…apologies for any inaccuracies, please comment if you see one):
-For most of it, see link above.
-This year, you will pay by the day you arrive, regardless of whether you are camping.
-RVs: “There is an area on the serengeti behind troll. If you plan to hookup to electric an sewers there is a 10 dollar per day fee. just let troll know when you arrive”
-No one will be admitted after 3pm Saturday. (This is not a change from previous years)
The Order Meeting tent is in the Woodland Watch Camp (which is where AE Royal is this year). West of the old barn/campstore, sort of the top of Runestone Hill nearish to the gate to Curry Road
Order of the Laurel: 9am- 10am (update: no meeting)
Order of the Millrind: 12pm-1pm, Saturday
Order of the Fleur: 1pm-2pm, Saturday
Chatelaine’s Meeting: 3pm -4pm, Saturday
Curia: 10am, Sunday, A&S Pavilion (where Chirurgeons Point is at Pennsic)
AA meeting: down at the lake by Willow Point on Saturday from 8:00-9:00 am Saturday. Blue and yellow marquee. (Privately run)
-Breakfast: In the Bathhouse this year, I believe
Saturday & Sunday 7:30am-1:30pm (free – run by the Scribes)
Food Merchants: Beast & Boar, and Coopers Store
Class List & Activities
There is an A&S village at the pavilion where the Chirurgeons are at Pennsic:
-There is only one pavillion; using the four corners it will allow up to 4 different activities happening at once.
-There are 3 A&S tents, they will have banners letting you know if it’s Tent 1, 2 or 3.
-There are 2 scribal tents. On Friday one will have scribal classes. On Saturday will be Scribal banner painting in one, scribal playtime/lutrell psalter competition in the other.
-For those wishing to have an artisan’s playtime, we have lots of room for byo tents & pavillions
WP Classes Sortable (Hilda) (NOT official; I just wanted a sortable list)
Princess Anna Leigh’s Beverage Showcase & Social: Friday 6:30
Grand Ball: Friday Night, Great Hall, 7pm (See below)
Scribal Playtime, 11am-3pm Saturday (See below)
Scarlet Apron Competition: 11am-4pm (See below)
Royal Court – 6pm Saturday, Great Hall (set-up at 5pm)
I Genesii – Saturday night, Great Hall
6 Hour Class Challenge (See below)
Heavy: 6pm – 8pm Friday, field, Gage Meet n Beat
Heavy: 10-man Melee, 11am Saturday, field (sign up at 10am) (see below)
Heavy: noon-5pm Saturday, field, melee, various scenarios
Heavy: 5:15 pm Saturday, field, Finns Speed tourney
MOL/Inspections: Friday 5pm-7pm and Saturday 9am – 1pm
Siege: Inspections 9am to 11am Saturday, field (see below)
Youth Fighting: Kingdom Championship, 10am Saturday, list opens 9am
Rapier: 6:30pm Friday, tourney (rapier and C&T pools)
Rapier: Saturday: lots of melee
Thrown Weapons: Update: New location is behind the Great Hall
Archery: Update: New location is behind the Great Hall
Pelican Vigil & Reception
-THL Ursula – send-off on field Friday night 7pm, vigil to follow at Woodland Watch camp
-Mistress Antoinette – reception in the Scribal tents after court
Feed the Ravens
Black Moon Traders
Little Crystal Bijoux
The Basket Man
Little Dragon’s Horde
Munitions Grade Arms
A Case of Random
Story Tellers Candles
Knights of the Classroom
Earthly Leather Designs
Logs Bogs and more
In Levitate et Caritate
here are the dances planned for the War Practice Grand Ball in random order:
War Bransle (naturally)
maltese bransle (sca)
amoroso (long version)
new boe peep
picking of sticks
new yer’s de tribus
ly bens distonys (long version)
jenny plucked pears
*most dances will be taught immediately before we do them.*
AND! Lady Lelija Barnasiewicz-tancerka will be leading the early, Children’s portion of the Ball. Children of all ages are invited to bring their parents and enjoy the special “re-creations” of period dance.
There will be refreshments for all!
Come by to dance, snack, watch or all of the above. You’ll find us in the Great Hall Friday evening.
War Practice is finally upon us, and with it comes the time to choose AEthelmearc’s new Scarlet Apron Champion!
This year’s entrants have risen to the challenge to recreate period food preservation methods and recipes. Now, they look not only to our judges, but to you, the Populace, to let them know how they did!
Sign-In for Entrants will begin at 11:00 AM on Saturday, May 19, in the Great Hall (Look for the Scarlet Apron signs). While the competition is open to judges only from noon until 1:30 PM, once that time period is over, we welcome the Populace to visit us, and vote for your favorite entry! The entry with the most votes by the end of the competition wins a prize!
The Populace in attendance is encouraged to visit the Scarlet Apron, view and sample the entries, and cast their vote from 1:30 PM until 3:30 PM. The winners will be announced in court later that evening.
As always, if there are any questions, please contact the competition coordinator, Edelvrouw Lijsbet de Keukere, using Email (lijsbet(DOT)vandelfthout(AT)gmail(DOT)com), or Facebook Messenger **PREFERRED** (Keirin Lazauskas-Ralff).
We can’t wait to see you this weekend!
11:00 AM On-site Sign-in Opens for Entrants
• Entrants drop off their food items and documentation
12:00 PM Anonymous Judging Opens
• Judges will have the opportunity to experience and assess each entry based on only what has been set on the table.
• Entrants and members of the populace are asked to wait until after this period to come and interact with the display.
1:30 PM Anonymous Judging Closes;
Entrant-Judge Meet & Greet Opens;
Competition Viewing Opens to the Populace
• Entrants are invited to return to sit with their entries at this time. Judges can take this opportunity to interact with the entrants one-on-one to clarify or elaborate on anything they may have questions about before completing their scoring.
• The populace is invited to view and sample the remaining portions of each entry, and vote for their favorite to win Populace Choice.
3:30 PM Entrant-Judge Meet & Greet Closes;
Populace Viewing Closes;
All Judging & Feedback Forms are due back to the Sign-In Table for score tallying
• Judges should submit all of their scored feedback forms by this time so they can be tallied.
• Populace Choice tokens will also be counted at this time.
4:00 PM Entry Pick-Up
• All entries, including empty containers, must be removed by this time to facilitate an easy clean-up for Court.
On Saturday May 19th, 11:00am at AEthelmearc War Practice we will be hosting our Annual 10-man Unbelted Melee Tournament.
Sign-ups starts at 10am, all teams must be signed up, inspected, and ready to go at 10:45am. We have a limited window before the rest of the day’s activities.
Rules are as follows:
– Format will be round-robin, subject to change depending on the number of teams
– Winning team has the best record after the round-robin
– First place tie will result in a one fight sudden death bout (continuation rule 113d)
– Winner gets bragging rights and might get a chance to fight a 10 man chiv team….
– Participants cannot be members of the order of chivalry
– Maximum of 10 fighters on the field for each team
– Alternates are allowed, but no substitutions during a bout
– Fighters cannot be on multiple teams
– No combat archery
– Ok….no siege engines either…..
– Thrown weapons ARE allowed
– All other combat conventions will follow kingdom standards
Contact me if you have any questions.
Start forming your teams today!!!!
So….who wants some?
Heavy Schedule Details
The following is the current schedule for the heavy fighting at this years War Practice.
Friday May 18
MOL/Inspection point open from 5 pm-7pm as needed
6pm -8 pm. Gage Meet n Beat
Saturday May 19
MOL/ Inspection Point 9 am -1 pm or as needed
10-1045am team sign ins for 10 man unbelt tourney
11am 10 Man unbelt tourney
Noon-5 Melee fighting, various scenarios
5:15 pm Finn’s Speed Round Tourney
As in all things Scadian, our fighting schedule is fluid, we will attempt to stay on schedule as best as possible. It is called Scadian Time for a reason, plan accordingly.
(Event Reciept, Auth Cards and Identification required at MOL point)
We as always need assistance on the field from Our field marshals. If you want to help out, contact me privately so I can add you to the list.
If you need anything added or edited, please contact me privately so I can keep our schedule current!
Siege Inspections for AEthelmearc War Practice will be held on the battlefield from 9am – 11am (hard stop time at 11am due to the 10 man unbelt tourney, NO INSPECTION WILL BE STARTED AFTER 10:30AM). Please plan accordingly.
Siege will definitely occur in the bridge battles, and probably in the broken field battles.
Please share with your crews. If you are able to volunteer your time as a marshal, please let me know.
Thank you in advance,
From Mistress Antionette
War Practice will be here soon and we have a few fun things going on for scribes!Scribal Playtime (Saturday 11-3) will focus on completing the painted banners we began at our Retreat in March. Mistress Alicia has a spiffy Luttrell Psalter scroll blank contest happening- same time frame as Scribal Playtime. We have wonderful volunteers to cover the Playtime, but 3 of them have received their Fleur recently and would like to attend their FIRST FLEUR meeting at War Practice. So, we will need a few volunteers for Scribal Playtime beginning around 1:00. If you can pitch hit, send me an IM as soon as you can. Both of our Scribal tents will be up and running, if you have a scribal project you would like to work on, bring it!, we have a tent designated Saturday, all day for just this purpose.
Our Scribal Retreat in March- Wow!, we were busting out at the edges and from our Survey results we know that the Scribes would like to ~rinse and repeat~ in 2019. However, we are going to need to fund raise and Steltonwald has graciously offered us our first big opportunity to do so at War Practice. We will be serving up Breakfast on Saturday 7:30-1:30 and Sunday 7:30-1:30 We have a few people designated to help but we could use a few more volunteers. No cooking required. If scribes are uninterested in fundraising, there may not be a Retreat next year. Please IM me with a day and time ( 1 hour is fine) that you can help out w Breakfast.
Last fun thing, I will be elevated to the Pelican in evening Court at War Practice, no vigil, but we will have a reception in the Scribal tents after court. All scribes are welcome, remember ~Once a scribe, always part of the Tribe.
6 Hour Class Challenge
Back by popular demand- The 6 hour class challenge! For those of you serious about learning, pick up a passport at troll. When they’re gone they’re gone, but we trust your honor to keep track. For those who succeed, be sure to join the audience at Æthelmearc Court to come forward, be recognized and receive your token! Remember it’s 6 hours, not six classes, and don’t miss out on the workshops! Special thank you to Edana the Red for creating both the token & the passport again this year.
Exciting news for anyone who likes to brew (or drink): the Brewers Guild is up and running again! Lady Alysoun of the Debatable Lands is taking over as Guildmistress, and Lord Ronan O’Conall is her Deputy.
After polling the populace for interest, we have received 15 responses so far from people who would like to be involved in the guild. They range from beginners to experts and hail largely from BMDL, though some are further afield. We have also had great support from the Æthelmearc Brewers Guild, which is pushing out our news to their network as well.
Any and all interested parties are welcome to join the monthly meetings, which will be held at Alysoun’s home in Pleasant Hills. They will take place at 7pm on the first Wednesday of the month, unless otherwise noted.
At the time of this update, we are looking forward to our first meeting, which will be held on May 2 and will serve as a planning session to determine how best to create value for our members and the society at large. Please look for additional updates on the barony blog and on Facebook as we get organized. You can always reach Alysoun here with questions: email@example.com
From Mistress Ts’vee’a:
Third Wednesdays are Sewing Circle nights at my home in Stanton Heights. That would be tonight. All are welcome to bring current projects, plans for future projects, ideas, questions, or just yourself. Most sewing notions are available.
Address: 5167 Rosecrest Drive 15201
I am happy to help with pattern drafting, but not on Sewing Circle night. We can arrange for a one-on-one time for that. Contact me to coordinate schedules.
See you there!
Hello, everyone. Are you planning to come to KWHSS outside of Pittsburgh this June? Do you own any amazing books that you’d like to share with your scribal or heraldic friends? Please bring us your amazing books!
Our Library is looking for generous people willing to loan their amazing resources for everyone’s perusal. Check out our Library page and consider bringing some of your treasures for all to benefit from. You can check the list to see who is bringing what so that you don’t end up bringing a Grand Hours in your suitcase when you don’t have to. Thank you!!!
THLady Rachel Dalicieux
Celebrate Twelfth Night with us in the Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands! All are Welcome on this day to enjoy music and song and dancing, good food, and good friends!
What is a Debatable Lands Twelfth Night like? Here are the top 11 things to do!
1. Bring some food to share. Our event is free, even the food! It’s a potluck. All kinds of food are welcome! (Mmmm, cheese balls)
2. Bring and/or taste some cookies! A perennial favorite, Master Urho runs our favorite cookie competition of the year. Bring some to enter, or just munch on the entries and vote for a populace choice winner!
3. Bring your A&S project to display! The event features the Debatable Lands’ Arts & Sciences Championship and Display. There are no limitations, bring your projects, old or new, finished or in progress, to display. You can even request feedback from our top artisans. And if you’re from the Debatable Lands, enter the competition!
4. Bring some beverages. Wet site. Nuff said.
5. Snowball fight! Jasmine of Clan Tarn has her elves working overtime making stuffed “snowballs” for an epic tourney for young and old alike!
6. Get ready to laugh. The Best Commedia dell’Arte troupe in the Knowne World – I Genesii – will be *cough* performing *cough* …multiple times. Don’t miss the most beloved court of Misrule.
7. Bards welcome – the Debatable Lands Bardic Championship is also taking place. Only Debatable Landers are eligible for the Championship, but all are welcome to perform. The theme is the Old and the New.
8. Speaking of performances, the Barony’s own Debatable Choir will perform at 5pm. Let their dulcet tones wash over your ears and hearts.
9. Stuff and cash, cash and stuff… our Twelfth Night Auction of Forgotten Treasures ™ will delight you with the garb, gear, stuff and do-dads available at this silent auction. Have stuff you don’t need? Bring it to donate! But wait, there’s more! We also have a few fine merchants.. peruse their artwork, chainmail, and more!
10. Courts and vigils and courts, oh my! The event features Mistress Graidhne’s vigil and induction into the Order of the Laurel, as well as many other awards, Kingdom and Baronial.
11. Stay for the dancing! After evening Court, our event always has one of the best dances of the season in the entire Kingdom. Don’t worry, we’ll teach you!
12. Bring a donation for Paladin’s Pantry! The Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank needs food items, blankets, and more. Read more here!
See you there!
From THL Rachel Delicieux, via the BMDL email list (so apologies for this being posted there twice):
Hello everyone. Want to learn how to shade acanthus leaves like a boss? Or learn basic calligraphy? Or try a “scary” Black Hours scroll? (And discover that they’re actually a piece of cake!) Lady Ceindrich and I will be hosting the third Scribal East (With Music!) get-together this Thursday 11/30 at Lady Ceindrich’s home in Monroeville. (PM me or check Dark Pages for address.) Beginner recorder will start at 6:30, and I have recorders and music available. Scribal will start at 7. Come play with us!
Unto the Barony, greetings from Kameshima, Scribal Guildmaster. Our apologies for the late notice, but we are canceling tonight’s Scriptorium.
As many may have noticed, we have had to cancel a number of the recently scheduled Scriptoria due to mundane life issues. It has become apparent to both Isabel and myself that we are not presently able to give the Guild the attention it is due. Therefore, we are looking for a volunteer to assume leadership of the Scribal Guild and responsibility for hosting the periodic Baronial Scriptorium.
If you are interested in this position, please contact me at scriptorium at debatablelands dot org for more information.
Kameshima Zentarō Umakai
Unto the Barony, greetings from Kameshima, Scribal Guildmaster.
This month’s Scriptorium, scheduled for May 17, overlaps with the first night of War Practice. In an effort not to overload your schedule, we are choosing to cancel this month’s practice, and instead, recommend that you attend War Practice and avail yourself of the plethora of scribal classes that will be offered, and the Scribal Playtime that will take place from 10am – 4pm on Saturday, May 20th.
Join us again in June for our regularly scheduled Project Night! Remember that Project Nights are also available for Small Group Workshops: if you have a specific topic or skill that you would like to work on, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to arrange for someone to be there to work with you.
In Honor and Service,
Kameshima Zentarō Umakai
Baronial Scribal Guildmaster