The Seneschal’s Spotlight is a monthly feature that highlights an aspect of the Barony and/or its people.
This month’s Spotlight falls upon the Business Meeting. Every other month (Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec) on the first Wednesday of the month (except for August where we meet the first Wednesday after Pennsic) we hold a Business Meeting. While the Officers of the Barony are required to attend or to send a Proxy if they are unable to attend, the meeting is open to everyone in the Barony.
Every time I send out the reminder(s) for the Business Meeting, at the end is the following:
The Officers of the Debatable Lands are elected by the membership and is made up of members of the populace, just like you. The Officers are responsible for ensuring that the policies of the Kingdom and Barony are followed and are accountable to the populace of the Debatable Lands. The Business meeting is open to everyone in the Barony and attendance by the populace is encouraged.
This is an open invitation to everyone both within and outside of the Barony to attend and participate in the meeting.
What happens at the Business Meeting?
- Officers Reports – Each Officer of the Barony gives an update of what has been going on in the area they oversee.
- We review event bids for upcoming events.
- Get updates on upcoming events and/or demos.
- Review Letters of Intent for those interested in becoming an Officer when another Officer’s term expires.
- Discuss concerns or recommendations we’ve received from the Populace of the Barony-Marche.
- Once a year, in April, we have a Budget Meeting where we allocate the Barony’s Budget for the next year.
- Once every year we review the Policies of the Barony.
- Discuss any policies that have been recently changed or added from the Kingdom or Society Seneschal.
While the list isn’t exhaustive, they represent things that have been discussed at previous Business Meetings.
The Barony is all of us, not just the Officers, and your input and presence are very welcome. We want to know what is important to you and hear what you would like to see happening in the Barony. We hope to see you at the next Business Meeting (our Budget Meeting) on Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 8:00 p.m. at Allegheny Unitarian Universalist Church on the North Side.